Are you planning to create an Instagram collage for your story?
Looking for suggestions to make it really pop, or guidance on how to create the perfect collage?
In this article, you’ll discover everything there is to know about creating an Instagram collage that will wow your audience right away.
- What is an Instagram collage,
- How to create one and how to use the layout mode in the Instagram app, and
- What are the best apps to help you with the task?
At the end of the post, I’ll also share with you three tips for making your collage stand out.
Intrigued? Let’s not waste more time, then.
What is an Instagram Collage
An Instagram collage is a collection of photos shared that you share in a single photo or video. I typically compare it to the Instagram grid but shared as one photo.
Instagram collages started showing up more over the last few years. It was last year, however, when the trend really took off with more and more users creating visually appealing collages on their Instagram Stories.
And it all started as a trend among influencers and brands who wanted to express themselves more creatively. But many users have followed and the rest is now history.
Needless to say, we’ve come a long way from the early days of creating basic collages to using a series of apps to combine backgrounds, images, and videos to create stunning visuals.
For example, here’s an Instagram collage we’ve created for one of our Stories.
How to Make a Collage on Instagram
Here’s how the process looks like if you want to use the quick hack for iOS or Android to create your own Instagram collage in just a couple of minutes:
- Take a picture. Use Instagram filters if you’d like to enhance the photo further.
- You can change the background by picking the airbrush and tapping for a second on the chosen color.
- Go to your phone’s Photos section.
- Click on a photo that you like and choose to Copy the photo through the Share icon.
- Go back to your Instagram Story. A new sticker shows up with the copied photo encouraging you to “add sticker”.
- Add the sticker to see the photo showing up on your Story.
- Repeat as many times as you want to add more photos.
Tip: if you miss the pop-up to add the sticker, you can choose the Text option in the Story to paste the image.
The people at Howfinity have created a lovely video tutorial showing how to do it. You can watch it below:
How to Make a Collage on Instagram Story Using the Layout Mode
The hack I described above is just one way to create your own Instagram Story collage. Another is to use the Instagram app, particularly, the Layout mode.
Instagram spotted the rising trend and decided to help us create collages directly through the app. Last year, the company introduced the Layout mode for Stories, a collage-maker feature allowing you to create collages directly through the Story.
Here’s how to use it: