By Karen Repoli
Membership websites (or portals) are a very popular delivery method for online courses and programs.
The most obvious advantage is that membership websites tend to produce a steady, or residual, income. There is nothing better than a site that charges a subscription fee and makes a steady income from repeat clients or members. The membership fees are usually set up for a specified amount of time and that could be monthly, quarterly or even yearly.
If you are presenting your coaching services as a teleclass or as group coaching, a membership site is an excellent delivery method. These portals are committed specifically to your coaching program and only your students can access the valuable information and tools you provide there.
How does a membership site work and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash
Here’s the short version of how course delivery via a membership site works:
- Set up your Membership Site. You can load all your materials – videos, audios, homework etc. into your site much like the chapters in a book. Each “chapter” or “module” can be time released so information is dripped to students as needed.
- Enroll you students. They have immediate access to the course materials on line or download to their computer. You can also give them access to any “bonus” material.
- You can include a forum (depending on the site software used) where students can interact or ask you questions. However most people link to a Facebook Group for this purpose.
The advantages of a membership portal are:
- It is evergreen. Starting a new class every 3 months? No problem. Make a few quick edits to your portal and you start enrolling the new class!
- You can repurpose the content. After your first class, you have the recordings from each of your awesome live presentations. Maybe you want residual income without having to repeat the class live? With everything in the membership portal, you can now sell access to the portal as a “self-guided” coaching program.
- Convenience for your students. All class dates, materials and recordings are in one convenient place. You students don’t have to search for that email you sent them last week. They just log on to the portal and read or download at their convenience!
- No Email issues. Since all materials and recordings are in the portal, there are no worries about attachments to emails and recordings to large to send.
- Easy FAQ. Students will have questions and, of course, some may not know how to download. Instead of your inbox being flooded with these questions, you have a convenient FAQ page where they can get specific directions.
- Students feel valued and part of something special. We all love the exclusivity of “membership.”
Photo by Alexander Mils on Unsplash
There are a few dis-advantages of using a membership portal of course: